Tuesday 2 August 2011

Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. - Danny Kaye

And sooooooooooooooo I answered the phone, she called at 9.05am so it wasn't too bad and YES I did get talked into attending the other interview, £16 an hour I couldn't really turn the opportunity down to see what they want to say to me. Will let you know what happens when I go :)

We have finally started LIVING in the new house, sitting having salad for tea in the garden and then running round like headless chickens when we see the size of the ants nest that has just erupted. We watered the plants only took about an hour (and yes a lot have passed away due to our neglect whilst settling in, RIP little plants). Have started planning what we can put into the gaps of the sadly departed plants :( and will venture to the garden centre tomorrow (although it might take a while with our track record of driving to places).


In fact hubby got a call from his recruitment agency today asking him to get to his potential place of work at 2.30 it was 2pm at the time of the call. (Told you they're really pushy people) and he said it'll take him at least an hour to get there. Her answer MY computer says it'll take 25 mins hmmmmmm his reply "yes but we don't know the area well yet and last time it took me an hour" Pushy's reply well you've done it once you'll get there in time this time. He didn't go at all!!! Honestly.


We have spent EVERY single journey thus far with a map on our lap (until the beautiful day I get my stunning SATNAV).
Lol, this article written in the Guardian is soooooooooooo true of the conversations me and hubby have nowadays.



My boyfriend and I have been driving around East Anglia for 18 days now, looking for the small coastal cottage we have hired for a week's rest and relaxation.
"I think I can see Norwich, Toryboy."
"You're always seeing Norwich. Sometimes ahead of us, sometimes in the rear-view mirror, sometimes reflected in the softly rebuking eyes of a cow when we get stuck behind a tractor and have to take in the scenery. It is - ironically, given the famous flatness of our current surroundings - like the shimmering city on the hill for you."
"Look - there's a sign for Stiff ... It must be Stiffkey. I suppose scratching out the 'K' is the sole opportunity for vandalism in Norfolk."
"Stiffkey is approximately 800 miles from Norwich. You are incredibly stupid. I think it's because you are so short. The sun takes longer to reach your head and warm your brain."
"Why do you drive so close to the car in front? Why do you drive so fast? Why do you drive so fast and so close to the car in front?"
"Because I came to the conclusion - 14 minutes after we left London and you told me that you could see King's Lynn - that death would be preferable to the coming drive, but alas I have not been lucky enough to have someone brake hard and suddenly in front of me yet."
"Why are you now driving so slowly?"
"Because we are now behind a convoy of three cars whose occupants are on their way to a canasta evening in Sheringham and do not wish to arrive overexcited by approaching double figures on the speedometer; or they are lingering Diana cultists roaming the countryside looking for somewhere to mourn; or they are aware, as I am not, that the sign red-triangle-with-a-wiggly-line-in-the-middle actually means 'advance at a rate not discernible to the naked eye'."
"I can see Norwich again!"
"That is not Norwich. That is a cloud in the shape of Norwich. Also, we don't want to see Norwich. If we do see Norwich, it will mean that we are, once again, going in the wrong direction and I will have to stop the car in order to beat you with something heavy and unyielding, like one of your mother's cakes."
"Don't start on my mother. Why are you pulling over?"
"This church has a roof with two tiers of purlins and crenellated tie-beams on pierced arched braces and an ashlar-faced clerestory, which I would like to see. You can stay here, partly because you do not understand a single word I have just said and partly because your secular liberalism pollutes any church you enter."
"Well, if it hasn't got a lierne vault, then I'm not interested anyway."
"If I thought for a moment you actually knew what a lierne vault is rather than having just caught sight of the phrase as I opened my Pevsner, I might almost begin to think that there was a human intelligence gamely struggling to rise within you."
Never mind, I reflect, as I begin folding up some of the 3,000 maps in the car. I'm sure it will all be worth it once we are trapped together for a week in an unheated cottage on the coast and he finds out I have forgotten my credit card and his clothes. Why do I always resist going on holiday when every year it throws up new delights? I shake my head in wry recognition of my own foolishness as Toryboy makes his way back through the churchyard as the rain begins to pour.
"Onward!" I shout. "Onward to Norwich!"
"Sheringham," he snarls. And we are on our way.

Whilst on the subject of driving a saying has been brought to our attention NFN Normal for Norfolk, apparently devised by the medical teams to describe a person that is peculiar (ew ar betty!!!!).





This article was on the BBC news (so apparently scarily true) about some (MORE) things / language / sayings we should learn:

A road sign written in regional dialect has been put up in a village to warn drivers about the danger of speeding.
Villagers in Wiveton, near to Cromer, north Norfolk, have erected three signs telling drivers to "slow you down".
It was devised by parish council chairman Godfrey Sayers who was inspired by a sign in another village written in the Norfolk vernacular.
Mr Sayers said he is "very pleased" with the speeding signs which have had an instant effect on motorists.
The parish council was concerned at the number of collisions on the road which winds in-and-out of Wiveton with a 60 mph speed limit - but was reluctant to spoil the village with conventional road signs.
'Go you steady'
Mr Sayers said: "We wanted to do something a bit different and we wanted to make drivers think.
"I am very pleased with the signs - they have only been there a couple of weeks but it seems to be having an effect on some motorists.
"There has been a lot of concern about speeding and we had thought about installing 30 mph speed limit signs but we did not want all the signs.
"We wanted a way of attracting attention but without the conventional speed warning signs."
Mr Sayers said he had been inspired by a road sign he had spotted in another Norfolk village which reads 'Go you steady'.
'Hold you hard'
Peter Brooks, secretary of Friends of Norfolk Dialect (FOND) congratulated the parish council for bringing "a little bit of humour into serious subject".
Mr Brooks said: "If you go to Wiveton you'll find the roads through the village are narrow and winding so anything that slows traffic down should be congratulated.
"Go you slow is part of the vernacular language of Norfolk as is 'hold you hard' which you would say to someone who was dashing around - it means slow down, got plenty of time.
"There are other terms exclusive to Norfolk including 'tittytotty' (small) 'tittermortortor' (see-saw) and slantendicular (at a slant) and if you're getting het up you may be told that you are in danger of 'busting your farting clappers'."





I have recently been on the mumsnet website again discussing my friendly (said with an air of utter sarcasm) and one mum posted this video to highlight what some (but not all villages are like in NorfolK)
Must watch deliverance now LOL.

TTFN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment