Thursday 15 March 2012

Suddenly a mist fell from my eyes and I knew the way I had to take. Edvard Grieg

Well I have been nothing but proactive this past week and I've achieved more than I thought I would, although as with my normal life nothing ever goes smoothly and thus my need for my blog. The therapy within as they say.
In fact apparently blogging is really good for you:
Scientific American has come up with this article;

Self medication may be the reason the blogosphere has taken off. Scientists (and writers) have long known about the therapeutic benefits of writing about personal experiences, thoughts and feelings. But besides serving as a 
stress-coping mechanism, expressive writing produces many physiological benefits. Research shows that it improves memory and sleep, boosts immune cell activity and reduces viral load in AIDS patients, and even speeds healing after surgery. A study in the February issue of the Oncologist reports that cancer patients who engaged in expressive writing just before treatment felt markedly better, mentally and physically, as compared with patients who did not.
Scientists now hope to explore the neurological underpinnings at play, especially considering the explosion of blogs. According to Alice Flaherty, a neuroscientist at Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital, the placebo theory of suffering is one window through which to view blogging. As social creatures, humans have a range of pain-related behaviors, such as complaining, which acts as a “placebo for getting satisfied,” Flaherty says. Blogging about stressful experiences might work similarly.
Flaherty, who studies conditions such as hypergraphia (an uncontrollable urge to write) and writer’s block, also looks to disease models to explain the drive behind this mode of communication. For example, people with mania often talk too much. “We believe something in the brain’s limbic system is boosting their desire to communicate,” Flaherty explains. Located mainly in the midbrain, the limbic system controls our drives, whether they are related to food, sex, appetite, or problem solving. “You know that drives are involved [in blogging] because a lot of people do it compulsively,” Flaherty notes. Also, blogging might trigger dopamine release, similar to stimulants like music, running and looking at art.
The frontal and temporal lobes, which govern speech—no dedicated writing center is hardwired in the brain—may also figure in. For example, lesions in Wernicke’s area, located in the left temporal lobe, result in excessive speech and loss of language comprehension. People with Wernicke’s aphasia speak in gibberish and often write constantly. In light of these traits, Flaherty speculates that some activity in this area could foster the urge to blog.
Scientists’ understanding about the neurobiology underlying therapeutic writing must remain speculative for now. Attempts to image the brain before and after writing have yielded minimal information because the active regions are located so deep inside. Recent functional magnetic resonance imaging studies have shown that the brain lights up differently before, during and after writing, notes James Pennebaker, a psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin. But Pennebaker and others remain skeptical about the value of such images because they are hard to duplicate and quantify.
Most likely, writing activates a cluster of neurological pathways, and several researchers are committed to uncovering them. At the University of Arizona, psychologist and neuroscientist Richard Lane hopes to make brain-imaging techniques more relevant by using those techniques to study the neuroanatomy of emotions and their expressions. Nancy Morgan, lead author of the Oncologist study, is looking to conduct larger community-based and clinical trials of expressive writing. And Pennebaker is continuing to investigate the link between expressive writing and biological changes, such as improved sleep, that are integral to health. “I think the sleep angle is one of the more promising ones,” he says.
Whatever the underlying causes may be, people coping with cancer diagnoses and other serious conditions are increasingly seeking—and finding—solace in the blogosphere. “Blogging undoubtedly affords similar benefits” to expressive writing, says Morgan, who wants to incorporate writing programs into supportive care for cancer patients.

So as far as well-being goes blogging is good for my health and its official.

I LOVE the sun  I have spoken to more people since the sun came out in my entire time in Norfolk other than FB friends that is.
One lady who stands and talks to me now on the playground I have to say I am seriously worried for her health. She introduced herself to me, very very nice lady moved to Stokenchurch 2 years ago and has never regretted it (although she did come previously from Bristol) she has 2 boys one in my son's year but not in his class. But ................................... here is her downfall she is a drum roll!!! Can you guess?????
A chocolatier  

 

I fear for her I truly do, why would the mad women want to choose me for a friend when all I can see when she talks is...............................

 Sorry got briefly carried away for a moment.
Middle man also has a school friend just a few houses down our road, chatted with his mum for ages and she again moved there 2 years ago (is there anyone that was born here left??) and all of a sudden loads of kids are around and its all seems, well nice!! So long may it hopefully continue.

My daughter came round this week as she has done every weeks since we moved back, but she has stated that she never gets mentioned on my blogs so today she has ;P. My darling daughter made me the most beautiful canvas artwork with dainty butterflies on and I adore it. Always the handmade gifts are the best, she once sent me a handwritten letter for mothers day years ago and I still have it and a poem when she was much younger about my frizzy hair hmmm thanks darling. I think if I looked like that model i'd still be happy with frizzy hair.

I have to have a wee moan now, the sun has obviously brought out the fact that we no longer need to wear layers and coats etc etc. Now my body tucked away is more than happy but I haven't tried to lose weight (in fact I have tried but I lose the will power after a day) and what with all the events of last year I preferred to enjoy my bar of chocolate than be without it (be warned lady chocolatier). But it has led to my breasts being a tad large for my bra (hubby is obviously happy about this) but it causes very unsightly lumps and bumps where there shouldn't be in fact whilst walking to school today I looked down and thought I had 4 breasts. Luckily I had my scarf so that quickly went on (lol). and my arse god what can I say about that???
But i'm all for the curvy woman in fact (and no its not jealously) curvy women look better than skinny women fact and apparently men like them better that way to, well the more mature man does.Probably not the best image to put up as they are both stunning and granted without makeup, clothes thrown on quickly even I wouldn't fancy me but when your man still does that's all you really need isn't it?? A great advert for the curvy women is this poster
In fact there's more to the curvy woman than just looks the BBC website declared this article

Curvy women may be a clever bet
Nigella Lawson
Nigella Lawson: Curvy figure and an Oxford degree
Women with curvy figures are likely to be brighter than waif-like counterparts and may well produce more intelligent offspring, a US study suggests.Researchers studied 16,000 women and girls and found the more voluptuous performed better on cognitive tests - as did their children.
The bigger the difference between a woman's waist and hips the better.
Researchers writing in Evolution and Human Behaviour speculated this was to do with fatty acids found on the hips.
In this area, the fat is likely to be the much touted Omega-3, which could improve the woman's own mental abilities as well as those of her child during pregnancy.
Men respond to the double enticement of both an intelligent partner and an intelligent child, the researchers at the Universities of Pittsburgh and California said.
The findings appear to be borne out in the educational attainments of at least one of the UK's most famous curvaceous women, Nigella Lawson, who graduated from Oxford.
But experts are not convinced by the findings.
"On the fatty deposits being related to intelligence front, it's very hard to detangle that from other factors, such as social class, for instance, or diet," said Martin Tovee of Newcastle University.
"And much as we logically like the idea that men are interested in the waist to hip ratio, it actually features relatively low down the list of feature males look for in a potential partner.


I've had a lovely week, we picked up hubbys kids on the Friday night and celebrated his youngest's 9th birthday complete with a Hello Kitty cake and then on the Saturday I spent the day in London with my nursing Uni friends, I love seeing them and to spend the day in London with some fab lunch too but sadly only one wine was wonderful. But ladies i've found an alternative for next time
Not Afternoon Tea at the Oxo Tower

The name says it all; Not Afternoon Tea at the Oxo Tower is an eccentric alternative to the traditional afternoon tea. With a tasting plate of four indulgent desserts accompanied with either a cocktail or a glassy of bubbly, these unique packages are perfect for anyone with a luxurious sweet tooth and love of cocktails. Guests can choose from three packages, 'I believe in pink', 'Hopeless Romantic' or 'Something to Celebrate', offering a range of desserts, cocktails, champagne and even a little goodie bag to take away. Served in the Oxo Tower Brassiere this dining experience will boast one of the best views in town; the commanding panorama rivals the views from the London Eye and has a slick and sophisticated décor that comprises sparkling blue neon lights embedded in a sloping, slatted ceiling with leather banquettes and cool slate tables. With the combination of spectacular views, mouth watering desserts and colourful cocktails, this alternative to the traditional afternoon tea oozes glamour and decadence. The Not Afternoon Tea will be available daily as of 9th January 2012.
NOT afternoon tea at the OXO tower although a tad pricey we could probably go for a normal tea at the Ritz for the same price if not cheaper discussions will need to be made.The Ritz
Tea at The Ritz has to be the London equivalent of Breakfast at Tiffany's - a world-famous brand that captures the essence of each city's history and culture. Synonymous with the comfortable colonialism of the old British aristocracy, for Londoners afternoon tea at The Ritz conjures an image of luxury, indulgence, formality and impeccable service. Detailed in delicate shades of gold, pale green and pale pink, the Palm Court, where afternoon tea is served, is an exemplar of soothing sophistication combined with lavish Louis XVI luxury. Lofty ceilings, glittering chandeliers, gilded trellises, marble columns, deep cornices and draped floral curtains all combine for a visual treat of the old Establishment. Waiters, dressed immaculately in tails, serve up tea in fine bone china with exact precision while a pianist tinkles the ivories and a harpist plucks away in the background. Views of the Green Park royal gardens are a stunning reminder of a time when King Edward VII, Winston Churchill and Charles De Gaulle formed part of the regular stream or royal, aristocratic and noble visitors taking tea at the hotel's Palm Court. It hardly needs saying but dress smartly - a jacket and tie are essential for men. Early booking (as far in advance as six weeks for weekend sittings) is essential.

In fact scrap that its dearer than when I last went, once for lunch for one of my nursing colleagues leaving do, that was nice and for afternoon tea with one of my closest friends that was fab (we just didn't know which tea to pick lol) and not wanting to look as if we shouldn't be there we didn't ask so we went for one pot of normal tea and one of THE most disgusting teas ever and I wish I knew the name of it as i'm sure to try it again. Give me a starbucks with the girls anyday :D

Now my last and final peeve (ok i'd NEVER be abke to make a last anything) the fog here???? mist whatever its doens't clear until gone lunchtime and by that point you've imagined you're living on an isolated island.
This is a very old picture of a bus in the village so the fog is obviously not a new thing here but god its depressing.

Every morning I feel like i'm in the film "The Mist" I just googled "The Fog" and although I've never seen it until we move I probably won't although set on an island we are set on a tall hill so probably not much to worry about as I can always drive to Chinnor to escape .................................................
But I have seen the Mist and apart from the fact that in the morning you can't see past your hand I'm pretty sure we should be safe.......should?????

TTFN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment