Thursday 4 October 2012

Wherever I lay my hat!

I have started work back in my uniform once again and being back on the ward has been good for me, i'm a people person or more to the point i'm a patients person because I don't have nearly as much patience myself with some colleagues (will say no more as my boss reads my blog ;P) but I LOVE  the majority of patients. They make your job worthwhile just purely by saying they are glad you're on duty, or wanting to hold hands with you to thank you for the care you've given them that day.  I have to say that Cancer patients are like no other, they seem to (on the whole and of course there are some exceptions to the rule) have an inner calmness and happiness about them. They go through horrendous amounts of treatments and yet see the positive. I wish I could be half as strong if anything were to happen to me.
Its also been good in how many people remember me and the welcome backs i've had from other members of staff so all in all i'm in a good place now all I have to combat are the long hours and not trying to sleep constantly on my days off lol! 

Now what are the worse parts of starting a brand new job _ INDUCTION, a necessary tool for obvious reasons but mine was 45 miles away meaning a 90 mile round trip each day aaargh! I had since moving back and don't ask me how I managed it but I have avoided the M25 since the big SNOW last moving trip remember!!!!








So i'm reluctantly back on the M25 and singing along to the Bangles - Manic Monday very apt for the Monday and you have time to think instead of those brief trips to work, shops, school and think I did although I should consider getting a voice recorder because I come up with some great blog ideas and then obviously due to my middle age forget them by the time I ve parked up!
and i've got to say LORRY driving how the hell do they do it?? day in day out constantly driving seeing little cars like my practically poop myself as I drive as fast as I can so that I don't get squashed between a pair of them! so I looked into the life of  a lorry driver and its seems like a pretty thankless job and they lose valuable family time on every trip. This was on a truckers site
A Trucker's Life 

They say to go one place but you 
end up going further 

They pay you for that place but 
not the other. 

The days are short the nights are 
long and all I can do is sing myself 
a song 

I'm humming here and I'm 
humming there its not helping I'm in despair. 

I cant find that place I'm looking for its 
pissing me off and I'm getting sore. 

I'm tired, pissed, hungry too and nobody 
wants to say hello or how do you do. 

So I'm going to shut it down and wait 
awhile then start again and go another mile. 

when I find this place I'm going I'm gonna 
drop this load and get back on the road. 

Now I'm going home to see my wife and 
say to hell with this truck drivers life. 


....................... 


Its amazing that some people dont actually understand for one [zb] minute what life is all about out there on the road driving somethign 60/65 feet long and 40/44 ton, most people just see us as a big smoke belching monster getting in their way and after reading the above it just makes you think .......... and pause for a moment.... about how crucial our life and work is doesnt it?. 

I have to say i'd never thought about it before but you see this long line up of lorries driving in unison, all obviously going somewhere and we obviously not caring where they are going just as long as they don't get into our lane and yet without lorry drivers where would we be? Food for thought?

Also heard that on the radio on the way down on my next day of induction that Wokingham has become the best place in the UK to raise children etc etc huge congrats and yes I did wait and wait to hear (although knowing) that where I live wouldn't even reach the top 10 it didn't of course ;P.

This was the Top 10



Desirable towns: Family favourites
1 Wokingham, Berkshire
2 Woodley, Berkshire
3 Chulmleigh, Devon
4 Lightwater, Surrey
5 Shebbear, Devon
6 Oakham, Rutland
7 Bromley Cross, Lancashire
8 Bingham, Nottinghamshire
9 Chinnor, Oxfordshire
10 Yarm, Yorkshire


Oh dear - Chinnor no 9 in the Top 10 we lived 5 miles away from before moving away from it 4 weeks ago ooops ;P. 

So what are these places like I do know that Chinnor has a nice Chinese takeaway?

Anyway I was asked by one of the mums at school today "so are you staying put this time?" and YES was the answer I need to get the boys sorted out so that they are back with friends / schools etc etc, i'm back with my friends and family, close drive to work and its a nice area well if you don't look at the yobs on mopeds hidden underneath the tree in the park drinking well they are hidden?? ish!

Ickenham iteslf is a good place to live, looks nice, schools are good, neighbours are lovely (ish) 

but in the good old words of Paul Young (another song that played on my mammoth 180 mile trip this week) "Wherever I lay my hat"

TTFN!!





No comments:

Post a Comment